St Helens make it five from five

12 Mar 22, 12:29PM 0 Comments

Written by Rugby Football League

Photo by RFL

St Helens made it five wins from five as they ran in five tries in a 28-2 defeat of Warrington Wolves on home turf.

Warrington led after 15 minutes as Stefan Ratchford marked his 400th career appearance with a penalty goal.

But the home side soon worked their way ahead. First Makinson booted a penalty goal to make it 2-2 after 22 minutes, before Jack Welsby scored three minutes later, Makinson goaling for 8-2.

Makinson then went in for a try himself on 34 minutes as Saints took a 12-2 advantage into half time.

And there was no sign of letting up in the second half as Kristin Woolf’s side pulled clear in the second 40.

Despite a level contest soon after the restart, Makinson bagged his second try of the game on 55 minutes to make it 16-2, before Mark Percival put the game beyond reach on 63 minutes.

Lewis Dodd converted for a 22-4 advantage as the minutes began to tick towards full time. And Lomax rounded things off with a try on 78 minutes, Dodd with the goal for a final score of 28-2.

Elsewhere on Friday night, Wakefield Trinity picked up their first win of the season with a 18-6 triumph over Toulouse Olympique on home turf.

Liam Hood opened the scoring on 13 minutes, Brad Walker converting, before Guy Armitage hit back with an unconverted try.

Toulouse took the levelled with a Chris Hankinson penalty soon after, but it was Wakefield who went into half time 8-6 up thanks to a Walker penalty on the hooter.

Kelepi Tanganoa scored shortly after the restart, Walker with the goal, to make it 14-6. And that’s how it remained going into the dying minutes, before a Tom Johnstone moment of magic.

Though not the scorer this time, the acrobatic winger looked set to score a trademark try before – while in mid-air – he realised he was close to being in touch, so he offloaded inside to the grateful Corey Hall who touched down and proved to be the final scorer in an 18-6 win for the hosts.

And it was also a 26-16 win for Hull KR at Salford Red Devils on Friday.

The visitors turned on the style in the first half and were 18-0 up at half time thanks to three tries courtesy of Elliot Minchella, Matty Storton and Mikey Lewis – all three goaled by Jordan Abdull.

But Salford struck back themselves after the restart. Ken Sio went over first on 43 minutes, before Shane Wright and Joe Burgess bagged a try each either side of the hour mark.

Marc Sneyd’s two goals left the home side just 18-16 down, but Lewis proved to be the inspiration Hull KR needed as he went in on 68 minutes.

Jordan Abdull’s late penalty goal made sure of the points as his side took a 26-16 win back across the M62.

Be the first to comment on this article

Make a comment...

Our Valued Partners

European Championship logo X-league rugby league logo Cleveland Rugby League Brasil Rugby League Latin Heat Rugby League Logo Ghana Rugby League Serbia Rugby League Canada Rugby League Norway Rugby League Russian Rugby League Cameroon Rugby League Malta Rugby League Nigeria Rugby League Logo